Due to the recent concerns with COVID19, the Bendigo Eisteddfod has been postponed until further notice.
This is a real shame but something that we really can’t avoid. If the competition goes ahead later in the year, we will enter.
The information provided by the Bendigo Competitions Society is as follows:
Bendigo Competitions Society is postponing the Bendigo Compeittions 2020 after consideration of the health advice re COVID-19. The committee thanks everyone for their understanding and patience as we as a community work through this difficult period.
As you are aware this is a rapidly evolving situation. We want to assure our competitors, families, teachers and volunteers that we will be working towards the event running later in 2020 and will be negotiating with venues and adjudicators towards this end.
This decision has not been made lightly and has been made to ensure that the health of all involved in this prestigious event is maintained. Updates will be provided as they come to hand.
At this point, we’ll still work towards March 29th but things could change.
This month, we’ll be meeting at 2pm on Sunday 29th March. If I’ve emailed you about this, it is imperative that you read and understand the following before commiting to the event:
As always, I will keep the recital small; five or six performers means that the recital will take about an hour and therefore not intrude upon your Sunday afternoon too greatly.
Because of this, it is an absolute must that you commit seriously to the event. If you have something else on, or even might have something else on, decline the invitation and I will slot you into the April recital. It is absolutely unacceptable to pull out once you’ve committed; this gives me too little time to find a replacement performer and often means that we have to cancel the whole event.
Of course emergencies come up and sometimes students do need to cancel after they’ve accepted. I completely understand this but just ask that before you accept the invitation, you check carefully that there’s nothing foreseeable standing in the way.
There will be a mix of levels, with only one or two students from grade 5 or above. This keeps the time down,
When we play at recitals, we play from memory. Please let me know which piece or pieces you wish to play; I’ve suggested one for each of you on the homepage but note that if you’re grade four or below, you need to play two pieces, I just can’t fit both their names onto the homepage. I am also happy to change the pieces completely.
People preparing for exams or competitions need to perform at more recitals so if you are one of those students, expect to perform more than others.
Please bring a plate of food to share for afterwards. It’s quite nice to discuss our performances and have a bit of a chat afterwards.
Please let me know if you’re planning on bringing more than 3 people to watch you. That’s completely fine but just means I will need to locate and bring out more chairs from the garage.
Work hard for the recital, Guys! The standard is usually very high and I want it to continue that way. It doesn’t matter whether you’re playing a preliminary piece or a grade 7 piece, you will sound beautiful if you play well and ensure you use strong and correct technique.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the March recital
Last night I received the following email from AMEB. If you are enrolled in a session one exam, your exam will be postponed to session 2.
Please read the following carefully and let me know any dates to avoid so I can tell AMEB ASAP.
AMEB Victoria continues to follow the advice provided by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Australian Government Department of Health in relation to coronavirus (COVID-19). Our number one priority is the health and wellbeing of AMEB candidates, accompanists, examiners and administrative personnel.
We have decided to defer the start of Practical examinations until 18 May, but will monitor the situation and adapt accordingly. Enrolments received for the First Metropolitan Practical session (28 April to 17 May) will be deferred to the Second Metropolitan Practical Session (18 May to 5 June). Teachers/enrollers for the combined First and Second Practical sessions are requested to advise AMEB Victoria by email of any dates to avoid no later than Friday 27 March.
We will continue to monitor the situation with COVID-19 and will consult with enrollers and examiners regarding tentative examination dates before confirming exam timetables.
Additional hygiene protocols for our examining studios in Hawthorn will be put into place from 18 May and we will be informing enrollers and candidates of these measures in due course.
AMEB Victoria administrative personnel are available during business hours to answer enquiries by telephone or email and to assist with enrolment.
Our best wishes to students, teachers and examiners as we cope with this unprecedented situation.